Sunday, March 10, 2013

So this is how it goes...

 
Hi again!  Well we're just gonna let the text land where it may!
 
Here is my first days worth of spinning hanging and drying after its post ply bath.  I'm quite happy with the colour progression; it's not perfect...but who is?
 


Next we have the lovely Merino and Yak resting before plying.  You can only imagine how soft that is; wait, whatever you're imagining?  It's softer than that!



While there was no denying the beauty of natural fibres and the comfort in their organic colourways...it was pretty grey outside and I needed a little visual pick me up.  May I introduce "Summer Days" a Corriedale Stripey Sliver that I picked up at the Gemini Fibre booth at the Knitter's Frolic last year. 


 Yes, its that bright!  It was especially nice spinning this one as the sun peaked it in and gave a different 'flavour' and 'intensity' to the colour.
 The singles are resting before they get plied tomorrow and are destined
(I think) to be knit into something for my daughter, who's been eyeing it ever since it came home!


I have to admit, I consciously chose the bright fibres not only because of the weather, but because I also knew that I was heading into a more solid and sedate colour choice and needed to break it up a bit. 
Santa was kind enough to drop this off (by way of our annual Knitter's Christmas party) a couple of years ago and quite honestly I've been quite intimidated to attempt spinning it because it was not in a form that I was used to.


So I took a leap of faith and just jumped in!  It was difficult to pull into strips and after much tugging and pulling....


I'm just taking junks of fibre and spinning those. 
So far so good; more to follow!


In Knitting News:


KAL #5 is started (I'm actually the last one to start and one of the ladies is already finished!).  Catkin using Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light.  Yeah, it's a pattern that you really need to pay attention to right from the start! 
Thanks for your help TDC. 

No comments: